Extrusion Operator – Night Shift
Reports to (Title):
Rotating 12 hour shift – 6:00pm to 6:00am. Must be available on alternating weekends and some holidays.
Competitive starting salary commensurate with experience. Night shift differential available.
1. Job Overview
This position will support all production operations to optimize output and minimize waste while maintaining excellent quality and safety standards. Assist in the manufacture of quality products (per customer standards) as determined by the production schedule and or supervisor. To gain understanding of the technical knowledge required in the manufacturing process, and will continuously improve skills and productivity through teamwork. Performing housekeeping chores as needed, to maintain a safe and orderly work environment.
2. Job Dimensions
- Observe all prescribed or standard safety rules and regulations
- Work from assigned schedule, work orders, perform and make decisions as the sequence of setups and processes within recognized methods and procedures
- Obtain work instruction and follow prescribed procedures to set or monitor a limited number of barrel augur, extruder, and related forming/winding controls, such as pressure, speed, tension, and heat
- Move, position nip rollers, rewind shafts, and razor cut devices as required for proper operation. Arrange scrap recovery rolls or cart in proper feed manner
- Operate equipment or monitor continuing operations to maintain proper flow of raw and scrap film material and forming, cutting, and rewind operations
- Remove completed work; make simple tolerance and/or measurement checks required
- Occasionally perform or assist fairly complicated setup, other machine or related equipment repair, or maintenance duties as instructed
- Detect and report defective, contaminated material, unusual conditions, or faulty equipment to proper supervision
- Set up extrusion lines, extrusion/die head changes, monitoring all line controls & making proper adjustments, and checking dimensions/quality of product
- Examine products for fine defects and perform quality testing while maintaining production records
- Assist in preventative maintenance of all machines and auxiliary equipment.
- Ensure work is completion to standard
- Keep area clean and equipment in good working order
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in the extrusion process and/or experience as a machine operator
- Must have experience in reading production specifications and/or blueprints
- Good mechanical and technical aptitude a plus
Education and Certifications
- High school diploma or GED, Associates Degree and/or industrial certification preferred.
Job Specific skills and abilities
- Good computer skills
- Able to work well with others / self motivated
- Strong mechanical skills Strong Attendance and Safety Record
- Must have the aptitude to follow verbal and written directions
- Ability to use a ruler and measure to the closest milometer
- Must have good math skills: Able to add, subtract, divide, multiply decimals and weight grams
- Ability to identify the root-cause of defects in product and recommend processing adjustments to eliminate the defect
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- Physically able to lift 50 lbs
- Standing up to 12 hours per day on a rotating day or evening shift, up to 5 days per week
- Occasional twisting, turning, or bending to move items up to 50 lbs.
- Alert state of mind to avoid safety hazards, Able to make fast reaction to visual/sound signal
- Ability to read/see up to a millimeter, able to manipulate objects by hand
- Able to read; must be able to read English text, blueprints. Write, speak and understand English directions/instructions
- Writing skills required: Must be able to communicate in writing with all levels of the organization in English
Amcor offers a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, and FSA options; life insurance, AD&D, disability benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include vacation pay, holiday pay, and education reimbursement.