Job title: SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die aka Changeover)
BG/BU: AFA/FNA, Amcor Flexibles Americas/Flexibles North America
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Job family: Production
Reports to (Title): Shift Supervisor
1. Job Overview
SMED is one of the many lean production methods for reducing waste in a manufacturing process. It provides a rapid and efficient way of converting a manufacturing process from running the current product to running the next product. This rapid changeover is key to reducing production lot sizes and thereby improving flow, reducing production loss and output variability.
As SMED, you will be responsible for the success of changeovers of the Press, Lamination and Finishing departments in the flexible packaging process for fresh produce. As SMED you will be required to produce efficient changeovers for Press, Lamination and Finishing departments to customer specifications. The SMED will work together with Operators in each department to minimize set up time and increase efficiency to allow the operators optimum run time conditions. Also work with team lead and management to improve the processes in each department.
2. Job Dimensions
- Print, Laminate, Slit flexible plastics which specialize in fresh produce packaging.
- Work with up to 20 employees in a Safe working environment.
- Operate Machine with moving parts, nip rollers, lasers, and ovens.
- Able to make intelligent and logical decisions that pertain to the quality of the product.
- Work a rotating shift, five days a week, eight hour days, every six weeks.
- Handling of inks, adhesives and other food grade chemicals.
- Report to Shift Supervisor.
- Must be punctual and have good attendance.
3. Principal Accountabilities
- Makes safety the number one priority.
- Use of PPE and only Amcor provided tools.
- Cover vacation and call-ins where needed.
- View work order and schedule to determine job set-up specifications and installation procedures.
- Make sure all work order information is accurate before production.
- Enter in measurements, and quality check specifications in production workbook.
- Install plates/sleeves, blades, ink and all items for changeovers to desired stations.
- Install adhesives, antifog, and all items for changeovers to desired stations.
- In Printing, position and align film to customer specifications.
- In Lamination, position and align film to glue sleeve for customer specifications.
- In Finishing, position and align film and lasers to customer specifications.
- Place antifog on substrate according to work order and map.
- Work with management to improve machine efficiencies.
- Actively involved in Amcor project teams or other improvement events.
- Attend meetings to further better the printing press department, lamination department and finishing department.
- Support Team Lead with information to be used for the printing process, lamination process, slitting/laser process.
- Communicates with other departments to improve bottlenecks and streaming processes.
4. Major challenges & complexities
- Works in a non-climate controlled facility.
- Exposed to regulated hazardous and flammable chemicals.
- Requires physical strain such as walking and standing for long periods of times in the production facility.
- Occasional lifting of cores and shafts.
- Other physical demands require crouching, reaching and climbing of ladders.
- Use of new technical equipment for quality checks.
- Rotating 8 hour shifts every six weeks.
- Continuous Improvement
- Safety/Waste Team
- Production Departments
- Team Lead
6.1 Formal Qualifications and Experience
Knowledge and Experience
- 1 year in Manufacturing and Production.
- 1 year experience in pneumatic and hydraulic machines.
- Experience in Print, Laminate and Finishing.
- Cross-trained at Level 1 Certification of 75% of the machines (6 out of 8).
- Good attendance record.
Education and Certifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
Job Specific skills and abilities
- Computer skills that is familiar with MS Word, Excel, and Windows.
- Operating of Fork Truck.
- Organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal and communicating skills.
- Mechanically Inclined.
- Able to read a standard and metric tape measure.
Amcor Framework Competencies
The competencies which will apply to all AFEA co-workers:
- Driving for Results
- Customer Focus
- Influencing Others
The Competencies which will apply to OHSE:
- Command Skills
- Drive for Results
- Learning on the Fly