Constantly reducing our environmental impact
At Amcor, we constantly seek to reduce our environmental impact.
- During the STELVIN® ‘closures manufacturing process, we constantly endeavour to reduce our energy and water consumption, our production of waste and our overall carbon footprint.
- We use aluminium, an easily recyclable material.. And the good news is that in Europe the average rate of recycling of aluminium closure is 45% and that recycling only requires about 5% of the energy needed to make primary material.
- We are proud to be a member of the European Aluminium Foil Association (EAFA), which promotes the environmental credentials of aluminium screw caps and supports initiatives for further improvements.
- The EAFA has commissioned several studies on the complete life cycle of packaging from specialized independent bodies in order to provide insights into the environmental impact of aluminium used in packaging. For example a study by Quantis conducted in 2010 showed that:
- Screw caps only account for a tiny fraction of the environmental impact of a bottle of wine from production to consumption: between 0.5 and 1.5% of the bottle’s carbon emissions overall are due to its closure solution.
- Aluminium closures support responsible consumption compared with corks. By reducing the number of bottles affected by TCA, STELVIN® contributes to reducing the quantity of wine spoilage across the world.
- In December 2013, the United Nations Environment Programme referenced Life Cycle Assessment work related to food and beverage packaging, including the Quantis study on wine, naming them as examples of best practice in their field.
To find out more about the EAFA’s Turn 360° campaign
that highlights all the benefits of aluminium closures
, click here
To learn more about Amcor’s environmental initiatives, click here