Our sustainability challenges and opportunities
Sustainability risks and opportunities are identified, prioritisied and managed using our Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework, which is consistent with ISO 31000:2009. We also consider issues raised by our key stakeholders and international benchmarks for sustainability performance.
These findings are reported to our Board twice per year and inform our strategic planning and operating plan processes. Feedback from our annual participation in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) is also reported to our Global Management Team.
Our current sustainability challenges and opportunities include:
- Challenge: Managing global macroeconomic risks including raw material pricing volatility, currency fluctuations and sovereign risks
Opportunity: We utilise our strong Enterprise Risk Management and governance processes to ensure current and emerging risks are identitfied, assessed and managed within our risk appetites and opportunities are leveraged.
- Challenge: Economic impacts of climate change, sea level rise and extreme weather events
Opportunity: We are reducing the greenhouse gas intensity of our processes and products to create new areas of competitive advantage. We are investing and preparing for climate change.
- Challenge: Changing consumer tastes towards sustainable packaging products
Opportunity:To become a leader in responsible packaging, creating new areas of competitive advantage through supply chain partnerships and product life cycle assessment capabilities and sustainable value for our customers..
- Challenge: Regulatory and stakeholder expectations for operations with low environmental impact
Opportunity: We are reducing the environmental impacts of our manufacturing processes and products to create new areas of competitive advantage and reduce costs.
- Challenge: Occupational health and safety
Opportunity: To become internationally recognised for our safe work practices and to share our expertise with our suppliers and customers to help them achieve their own health and safety goals.
- Challenge: Talent management
Opportunity: Employee engagement and recognition as employer of choice, allowing us to attract and retain the best talent.
- Challenge: Community support for our operations – our social licence to operate
Opportunity: To build effective partnerships and seek constructive dialogue with the communities in which we operate.
- Challenge: Managing the political, cultural and social risks associated with our growth in emerging markets
Opportunity: To positively influence the development of countries in the emerging markets into which we are expanding, delivering employment opportunities, supporting local communities, contributing to the countries’ economies and demonstrating good governance and supply chain integrity.